Sunday, February 7, 2010

Early Impressions of Japan

I came to Japan during the Summer of 2008 for two weeks, on a program known as "Wings of Rotary." I was appointed "Student Leader" for the trip, as I had some Japanese knowledge already. I was going into my 3rd semester of college at that time.

That trip was my first real impression of Japan. It was golden, and I saw this beautiful country through rose-colored glasses. It was so beautiful.

My first impressions were of a few things: vending machines, transit, and of course, toilet seats.

In Narita airport, I noticed the numerous vending machines in the terminals. They serve a myriad of drinks, some hot and some cold. They are called jidouhanbaiki, or "automated selling machine." The kanji are fun too - 自動販売機. It's one of my favorite Japanese words.

IMG_0368



My first was a small, indestructable can of grape-flavored drink with a popular Japanese cartoon character on it. To choose a can, just insert your coins and press the button below the drink of your choice. The blue labels indicate the drink is served cold; red labels are for hot drinks.

The transit system here is incredible, especially compared to Oklahoma and America. I learned how to purchase train tickets two weeks ago when I had to get to my hotel in Dotonbori. The machines look like this:



You figure out where you're going and then see how much it costs. Then you get a ticket worth that much money. You deposit the ticket into the check-in lanes usually nearby the machines. It takes your ticket in, punches it, and opens the gates for you to go through. The transit system is used by everyone - it's relatively inexpensive and pretty fast. I was amazed at how punctual all the trains are here - they don't waste time or become late for anything. Just incredible. I've used them many times now. Girls fall asleep on them - I was also amazed at that. If it's not crowded, the safety level is super high. You don't have to worry about anything. People commonly doze off on these trains.

The toilet seats are fast becoming one of my favorite things about Japan. At my seminar house, our toilets are electric and include a warmed seat, bidet, deodorizer, and a "rushing water" sound that provides some white noise if you want it. It has pressure and volume control too. Can you believe it? It's so neat. The toilets in Japan are almost always made of plastic.

That does it for my first post. Hope you enjoyed reading.


Tyler

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

One thing (out of many) that I miss about Japan: Heated toilet seats. This invention has yet to reach Spain. Take advantage of them in the cold weather. One thing I don't miss: The cost of commuting.

It's good to see that you notice the little things. Take pleasure in them now because when you leave, you'll definitely miss them... oh warm toilet seats...

visual gonthros said...

You present your first impressions in a way that is not only interesting but informative - readers can learn how to do the things you are describing from your text and illustrative pictures.

One should be a little cautious on the trains; there are chikan who prey upon women and pick-pocketers who prey on anybody during the crowded commute times. But compared to trains/subways in other places, they certainly seem safe and clean here...

I fell in love with the vending machines when I was able to buy a warm can of tea one freezing day in Nara some 12 years ago. It was the best thing ever.

I hope you will start showing off you fancy camera in your posts soon.

Post a Comment