Sunday, February 21, 2010

Neighborhood Hirakata - 枚方市の近所

Today, I took my bike and started heading down nearby streets, in search of understanding my neighborhood.

My travels took my down a street, which quickly turned into a footpath after a block. While riding, I came across this rice field here:



This is a common sight in neighborhoods in Japan. Any spot of unused land is cultivated to grow a crop, usually rice. The shapes are sometimes irregular and match the terrain; you can find triangle shaped ones sometimes.

The homes in this area are very nice, especially when you comparea it to the area just south of my Seminar House. The people here must be very wealthy indeed to afford such large homes. Their family names are written in Kanji on a black placard by the front gate, as seen here:




Neighborhoods are well marked here, as well. Each new neighborhood has a sign posted nearby on a telephone pole. I saw two different neighborhoods on my way around, and they were only a few blocks large.


 

I will leave you with a panoramas of the immediate vicinity around my Seminar House. There's a beautiful park, and in this shot you can see the numerous cars waiting for the parking.

Hope you enjoyed the post!

 



Tyler

1 comment:

visual gonthros said...

I suppose it will become a common habit for me to comment about the pretty pictures on your blog...

I wouldn't consider land that is being used to cultivate rice as "unused." There used to be a whole lot more rice paddies out there until the construction companies decided to use them in a new way...

You seem to define you neighborhood in two ways: 1) political boundaries and then 2) through your own experiences vis bicycle and feet. Interesting approach. But somehow I feel like I want to see and read about people...

Post a Comment